[HOW] binutils-2.17 breaks the 2.6.26 kernel

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Jul 17 23:53:07 EST 2008

> building powerpc kernels. It is fixed in binutils-2.18.

Yes.

> I have encountered this and upgrading to 2.18 fixed my build. The
> symptom is large kernel sizes and a long time in gzip. In my case it
> was gziping a 2GB file.

Are you using a "binary" (non-ELF) image file?  This sounds like a
different problem, caused by the kernel linker script not handling
the build-id section correctly -- it places it at 0, and the rest
of the kernel at 3GB, you can imagine the rest.  I've seen this
on various embedded targets, but not on PowerPC iirc -- maybe I
don't build any affected defconfig, what's yours?

I have a working (tested! thanks Milton) workaround for the current
problem, will send it later today.  This problem funnily is hidden
by the presence of build-id :-)

Segher