[Cbe-oss-dev] [patch 9/9] powerpc/cell: Add DMA_ATTR_STRONG_ORDERING dma attribute and use in IOMMU code

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Jul 17 16:20:43 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 09:54 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 July 2008, Roland Dreier wrote:
> >  > Strong ordering is only active when both the bridge and the IOMMU enable
> >  > it, but for correctly written drivers, this only results in a slowdown.
> >
> > So when would someone use this dma attribute?  As a hack to fix drivers
> > where the real fix is too complicated?
>
> This is used in the Axon PCIe endpoint drivers, e.g. in the Roadrunner
> machine. The reason was to improve roundtrip latency by doing only
> mmio stores, not loads, on each side of the PCIe connection, which
> turn into posted DMA operations on the other end. With relaxed ordering,
> the posted writes may be observed out of order. Strong ordering makes
> sure they arrive in-order without having to do a non-posted mmio read
> or eieio operation on the receiver side.

I don't think it's legal for writes from a given initiator to arrive to
memory out of order.

Some drivers, notably network drivers, for example, rely on the "OWN"
bit being written last in memory when writing back ring buffer status.

If the bit arrives before the actual data, then data corruption will
occur.

Ben.