[RFC] (almost) booting allyesconfig -- please don't poke super-io without request_region

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Wed Jul 16 18:09:31 EST 2008

On 16-07-08 09:46, Jean Delvare wrote:

> As a conclusion, there is no clear relationship between the presence
> of an ISA or LPC bridge and the presence of a Super-I/O chip. All we
> can say is that apparently all PC systems have an ISA bridge. So
> indeed we can probably make the probes conditional upon the presence
> of an "ISA bridge" PCI device. That's very easy to test. In practice
> it might be equivalent to making the driver x86-only.

And foregoing non (pre-) PCI. Admittedly, that might not be much of an
issue and I don't know if "Super-I/O" is maybe even defined such as to
make it a NON issue but I do for example remember my old 386 chipset
providing for extended serial rates which I thought was way cool back
then. If that's Super-I/O (or something that should/could be covered by
the infrastructure at least) then PCI wouldn't be helpful.

Rene.