SW TLB MMU rework and SMP issues

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Jul 16 07:58:16 EST 2008

Ben,

I've been giving some thought to the new software managed TLBs and SMP
issues.  I was wondering if you had any insights on how we should deal
with the following issues:

* tlb invalidates -- need to ensure we don't have multiple tlbsync's
on the bus.  I'm thinking for e500/fsl we will move to IPI based
invalidate broadcast and do invalidates locally (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=19657
)

* 64-bit PTEs and reader vs writer hazards.  How do we ensure that the
TLB miss handler samples a consistent view of the pte.  pte_updates
seem ok since we only update the flag word.  However set_pte_at seems
like it could be problematic.

- k