82xx performance

Rune Torgersen runet at innovsys.com
Wed Jul 16 04:25:16 EST 2008

> * Maybe there is a kernel version that supports your hardware in both
> arch/ppc/ and arch/powerpc. In that case, you could see if
> the platform
> change had an impact.

Using arch/ppc I got a 2.6.25 kernel to boot, and the kernel compile
test I did is almost identical (within 1%) of what the arch/powerpc
2.6.25 did, so it seems to be a difference between 2.6.18 and 2.6.25
(I'll see if I can find an exact version, as I think my ppc port can be
compiled for all versions from 2.6.18 to 25)

And running oprofile didn't help much, as it seems not to have been able
to figure out what in the kernel got called. (the Freescale 82xx dcoes
not have hw performance registers)