[RFC] (almost) booting allyesconfig -- please don't poke super-io without request_region

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Tue Jul 15 18:36:13 EST 2008

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:55:01 -0600, David Hubbard wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> > Milton Miller wrote:
> >> I haven't done the research, but it might be keep superio as
> >> a platform driver, and keep the clients as platform drivers.  Only
> >> have the superio driver probe and discover the subcomponent
> >> addresses and then create the platform devices as children
> >> instead of having each driver create its own platform device.
> >> (This all assumes they are all platform devices in sysfs, I have
> >> not looked).
> >>
> >> This is all because in the platform bus the bus driver does not
> >> discover the addresses but relies on drivers or platform setup code.
> >
> > This sounds like a good plan, rather then add a new bus type add a superio
> > platform driver which does superio probing and registering of platform devices
> > for discovered logical devices.
> >
> > This superio platform driver then needs to also export some functions of those
> > few logical devices which need access to the superio registers for more then
> > just finding out their own base address.
> >
> > I guess that it then would be best to load this superio driver by default on
> > most systems.
> >
> > How does this all mix and match with isapnp, it feels to me we're doing
> > somewhat the same as isapnp here.
>
> Is there any way to use lspci and start at the LPC bridge, then find
> the SuperIO chip's IO address? What about ACPI tables? Perhaps probing
> logic could look for an LPC bridge before probing certain IO addresses
> even if the addresses are not in the LPC bridge config.

I always assumed that there was no way to know in advance if a
Super-I/O (LPC) chip was present or not, let alone the exact model of
the chip. The I/O addresses are decoded by the Super-I/O chip itself,
and in general it has no relation to PCI. And I've never seen ports
0x2e/0x2f nor 0x4e/0x4f listed in /proc/ioports.

But of course if there is a way to know, we should use it. Avoiding
random access to I/O ports, even if they are relatively standard in
this case, is always good.

> A superio platform driver is a good way to go -- it fits with the way
> the platform bus does things. Also, Jim's patches are almost there
> already.

Good.

--
Jean Delvare