[lm-sensors] [RFC] (almost) booting allyesconfig -- please don't poke super-io without request_region

David Hubbard david.c.hubbard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 07:26:56 EST 2008

Hi Hans,

>> I propose writing a subsystem driver. (Is that properly called "The
>> SuperIO Bus Driver"?) If no one thinks it's a really bad idea I will
>> put together some code and submit it for review, and maintain it.
>>
>> Some hwmon chips have odd / unique probe sequences. IMHO this is where
>> the design needs to be inspected. One of those is the w83627ehf, which
>> Jean and Hans are familiar enough with to check my work.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I'm afraid that making this a "bus" will be a bit overkill. Jim's patches
> are quite simple and seem todo the job.
>
> Also keep in mind that most users will be platform devices which just want
> to use the superio registers to find out the baseaddress of their logical
> device, a whole bus seems overkill for this, would the hwmon driver then
> need to be a superio_driver (as well as an platform_driver) or can the bus
> be queried / used
> without having to be a bustype-driver?

I think that's a valid point. I am willing to keep it small, but I
would prefer to follow the pattern set in other subsystems. It may be
my lack of experience in designing a subsystem showing here! What are
some alternative ways to implement it?

In other words, Jim's patches are a good start, but maybe I am
misunderstanding them. I see it as the superio-locks module, a driver
that other drivers would depend on / auto-load. Is that something
other subsystems also do?

Regards,
David