[lm-sensors] [RFC] (almost) booting allyesconfig -- please don't poke super-io without request_region

David Hubbard david.c.hubbard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 07:11:24 EST 2008

Hi Hans, Milton, Jean,

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> Jean Delvare wrote:
>>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Well, I believe there have been some lightweight superio locking coordinator
>>> patches been floating around on the lm_sensors list, and I have reviewed them
>>> and then a new version was done with my issues fixed.
>>>
>>> I kinda liked the proposed solution there, it was quite simple, moved all the
>>> generic superio stuff into generic superio code, and added locking for super io
>>> access from multiple drivers, what ever happened to those patches?
>>
>> As far as I know, nothing, and this is the problem. Somebody needs to
>> step up and call him/herself the maintainer of the new code, and push
>> it upstream and convert all the drivers (hwmon, watchdog, parallel
>> port...) to make use of it. And I am not the one to do this, I am busy
>> enough as is with i2c and hwmon.
>>

> Ok, I've mailed Jim Cromie, the author of the superio access patches
> from end 2007 and told him we're still interested in this and asked him
> if he is willing to drive this forward.

I propose writing a subsystem driver. (Is that properly called "The
SuperIO Bus Driver"?) If no one thinks it's a really bad idea I will
put together some code and submit it for review, and maintain it.

Some hwmon chips have odd / unique probe sequences. IMHO this is where
the design needs to be inspected. One of those is the w83627ehf, which
Jean and Hans are familiar enough with to check my work.

Thoughts?
David