[RFC] (almost) booting allyesconfig -- please don't poke super-io without request_region

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Jul 11 17:27:26 EST 2008

Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Hans, hi Milton,

<snip>

>> One could make a superio driver, and create sub-devices for the IR,
>> I2C, floppy, parallel, etc
>> nodes.
>
> There have been proposals to do this, and this would indeed be a very
> good idea, but unfortunately nobody took the time to implement this
> properly, push it upstream and volunteer to maintain it. The problem is
> that you don't need just a "driver", but a new subsystem, that needs to
> be designed and maintained.

Well, I believe there have been some lightweight superio locking coordinator
patches been floating around on the lm_sensors list, and I have reviewed them
and then a new version was done with my issues fixed.

I kinda liked the proposed solution there, it was quite simple, moved all the
generic superio stuff into generic superio code, and added locking for super io
access from multiple drivers, what ever happened to those patches?

If were to start using those, we could actually do a request region and then
never release it, as things should be.

Regards,

Hans