While(1) in kernel space

Chris Friesen cfriesen at nortel.com
Wed Jul 9 00:44:37 EST 2008

Paolo Doz wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'm developing a custom SPI driver (char device) on a MPC5200b, the
> microcontroller linked as slave implements a protocol that must follow
> strict timing constraints. I need to receive and send messages every
> 6msec.

What are your timing requirements?  How much over/under 6ms can the
protocol handle?

Kernel threads might work, but then you're at the mercy of the
scheduler.  You'd probably be better off using a timer or softirq.

If the latency requirements are really strict, your best bet would
probably be to use the -rt patches for the kernel.  That requires
building a custom kernel though.

Chris