linux-next: kbuild tree build failure

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Tue Jul 8 07:01:04 EST 2008

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 06:13:55PM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>
> > Hi Sam,
> >
> > Today's linux-next build (powerpc ppc64_defconfig) failed like this:
> >
> > arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spu_base.c: In function '__spu_trap_data_seg':
> > arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spu_base.c:194: error: duplicate case value
> > arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spu_base.c:177: error: previously used here
>
> I guess there also has been a kconfig warning somewhere. :)
> I should have gone through all archs to test this, sorry about that.
> Luckily it's only powerpc that uses 64bit values. I would prefer to
> standardize on 32bit values, as it doesn't really make sense to expect
> from the user to input full 64bit values and it's easy to generate the
> full value in a header. This would also ease on any portability issues
> (kconfig is compiled with the host compiler not the target compiler).
>
> Below is a patch that fixes this for all archs (generated against the git
> tree). The powerpc parts need a more careful review, the rest isn't really
> critical.
>
> bye, Roman

Hi Roman.

>From your patch:

>  config PINT3_ASSIGN
>  	hex "PINT3_ASSIGN"
>  	depends on PINTx_REASSIGN
> -	default 0x02020303
> +	default 0x2020303

But ths change actually decrease readability of the
value. Before we had 4x2 hex characters. But now we have 3x2 + 1x1.
Does this check really by us enough to warrant this?

I am aware that the check is implmented by:

+                       str = strdup_type(def_sym->name, sym->type);
+                       if (strcmp(str, def_sym->name)) {
+                               prop_warn(prop,
+                                       "default for config symbol '%s'"
+                                       " should be %s", sym->name, str);
+                               prop->expr->left.sym = sym_lookup(str, SYMBOL_CO
+                       free(str);
                        break;

Could we soften this check a little maybe?
At least so we accept leading null's.

As for the patch in general I will await an ack from powerpc
before applying it.

	Sam