Support for low power mode for powerpc processors

prodyut hazarika prodyuth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 05:52:45 EST 2008

But a lot of SoC like 440GT/EX support two modes of power save -
- Cut off power to other cores like PCIExpress/USB/MAC/UART etc
- Lower the CPU frequency

Is it possible to scale down CPU freq or cut off power to unused cores
while the CPU is idle? The ideal way would be that the SoC registers a
set of handlers to the Kernel that can power off/up the SoC components
or reduce/restore CPU frequency. Does any such framework exist for
PowerPC processors, because most PowerPC based SoC (FreeScale/AMCC
etc) support the above two modes of power save.