MPC83xx ipic problem

André Schwarz andre.schwarz at matrix-vision.de
Tue Jul 1 01:34:01 EST 2008

Scott,

actually I'm having trouble with my PCI interrupts.
We are running 2.6.26-rc6 on a MPC8343 based board.

There are two external PCI devices connected (FPGA + miniPCI socket).
The FPGA is working fine and uses IRQ0 for its PCI_INTA line.

As soon there's a miniPCI module present and the driver loaded (actually
an ath5k WiFi module) the system complains after a while :

irq 48: nobody cared
handlers: .... location of the FPGA irq handler
Disabling IRQ #48

-> This is weird since the FPGA isn't working at all and IRQ0 is *not*
asserted !

Of course the miniPCI irq is routed to a different pin on the CPU
(IRQ1). Having a look at the irq count it's obvious that the WiFi irqs
are handled (ath module). The FPGA irq handler is located in the
"mvbcdma0" module which is running rock solid without miniPCI present !

mvBL-M7> cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
16:       1826   IPIC   Level     i2c-mpc
17:          9   IPIC   Level     i2c-mpc
18:        201   IPIC   Level     ath
19:       2896   IPIC   Level     serial
21:          0   IPIC   Level     mpc83xx_spi
32:          2   IPIC   Level     enet_tx
33:        257   IPIC   Level     enet_rx
34:          0   IPIC   Level     enet_error
48:     100000   IPIC   Level     mvbcdma0
BAD:          0

The irq mapping insides the dts :

interrupt-map = <0x5800 0 0 1 &ipic 0x30 0x8      -> FPGA @ IRQ0
                  0x6000 0 0 1 &ipic 0x11 0x8      -> miniPCI INTA @ IRQ1
                  0x6000 0 0 2 &ipic 0x11 0x8>;    -> miniPCI INTB @ IRQ1

Is it legal to use a single irq pin twice ?
After all the ath5k doesn't use/assert the INTB line at all ...

If I do all the above after removing the FPGA module and releasing irq48
the system doesn't complain anymore ... but hangs after a while with the
IRQ1 line being unserviced.

What do you think ?
Any hints ?

Am I doing anything obviously wrong ?

regards,
André

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstraße 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler  - Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 271090
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner