[dtc] breaking out libfdt from dtc so other progs can use it

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Fri Feb 29 19:35:48 EST 2008

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:30:44 -0600
> Jerone Young <jyoung5 at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > If it where broken out of dtc it would be easier to pickup and pull
> > fixes from it. Even package it so programs can easily build it
> > standalone.
>
> That's akin to saying libcrypto should be broken out to be completely
> standalone from openssl.  That doesn't make sense either.

Thanks, your openssl example triggered me posting this reply ;-)

I think people are confusing source and binary packages.

E.g. on Debian, the openssl source package is used to build 3 binary packages:
openssl, libssl0.9.8, and libssl-dev. Hence to install applications that use
libssl, you don't have to install all 3, just libssl0.9.8.

But this doesn't mean libssl is separate from openssl source-wise: both are
build from the same source package.

So the single source package dtc could be packaged as 2 binary packages: dtc
and libfdt.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619