Could the DTS experts look at this?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed Feb 13 10:50:30 EST 2008

David Gibson wrote:

> You don't.  If your agent takes a dtb, dtb layout and agent must
> match.

So what I would like to see is a way for the agent to validate the dtb.  U-Boot
could currently validate the SOC's compatible field.  However, if we add a
special node that contains rules for modifying the rest of the tree, the only
possible way to block older, incompatible U-Boots from accepting the tree is to
bump the version number.  Since that is not the right thing to do, the best
approach is to define a new node type that has conditional expression attached
to it.  Then we can bump the version.

> In fact, in one way of looking at it that's always what happens: the
> dtb format is defined for passing hardware information from the
> bootloader to the kernel; nothing else.  Passing a dtb *into* the
> bootloader is just a bootloader implementation convenience, because
> the possible variations on an output tree are small, so it's useful to
> have a skeleton tree built-in.  But in order for the bootloader to
> process those variations correctly, the skeleton *must* be in the
> right format.  dtb input to a bootloader must match the bootloaders
> expectations.  This has always been true, and will continue to be
> true.

The problem with this approach is that you're replacing data with code, and that
always makes things more difficult.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale