DTS question - MPC5200b

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed Feb 13 09:49:06 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:37:07PM -0500, Nick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some help.  I am trying to access timer 7 on the MPC5200B
> processor.  I have the DTS file setup like this

Others have addressed the most salient points, but some general
corrections for your device tree..

>         gpt at 670 {    // General Purpose Timer
>           device_type = "gpt";

device_type shouldn't be here.

>             compatible = "fsl,mpc5200b-gpt","fsl,mpc5200-gpt";
>             cell-index = <7>;

You probably don't want cell-index.  cell-index should *only* be used
when there is some global register somewhere that's indexed by the
cell number.

>             reg = <670 10>;
>             interrupts = <1 10 0>;
>             interrupt-parent = <&mpc5200_pic>;
>         };
>
> I have timers 0 to 6 defined the same way except the cell-index reflects
> the timer number.

Presumably 'reg' is different for each, as well.

> In my platform file where I am doing my board setup, I tried the  following.
>
> timer7 = mpc52xx_find_and_map ("mpc5200b-gpt");
>
> How do I specify the timer based on the cell-index?

You don't.  As Grant explains, use reg instead.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson