Reorg of 32-bit dma code

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Feb 7 13:45:44 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 20:39 -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
> > I'd prefer so yes.
>
> Can you explain why?  Got no issue with doing this, but its good to
> know hy.

Just in case ... let's not modify 64 bits behaviour especially to
something that will ultimately go away. I prefer failing if DMA ops are
not set rather than using a set of ops that will cause DMA to the wrong
place.

> Also, any ideas on how to handle setting dev->archdata for non-PCI
> devices would be welcome.

This has to be done by whoever creates the struct device. Can be a bit
annoying with platform devices, I agree. One way to do it is to use the
bus notifiers mechanism, which allows you for example to have a default
for any platform device.

Ben.