compile quirk linux-2.6.24 (with workaround)

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Feb 5 04:34:25 EST 2008

On 2/4/08, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008 10:51, Sven Luther wrote:
> > You should normally not need to build the 4xx bootloader part. Make sure
> > that, i don't know why this happens. Can you look into
> > arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile, to see what option enables the 4xx build,
> > and make sure it is disabled in the main config ?
>
> I have tried to do this, but it looks like it is just hardcoded into the
> Makefile  as you can see from the patch. There is probably more that I do not
> understand - thus my report with on the workaround.

The policy decision was made early on to build all of the bootwrapper
bits regardless of whether they are needed by the configured platform
or not.  AFAIK the reason for this is to increase the variety of
platforms and compilers for with the bootwrapper bits are tested on.
Unfortunately, there are bits of 4xx bootwrappers which require
processor specific instructions for manipulating the cache and DCR.

If we're supporting compilers which don't have 440 support, then we'll
need to disable the build of those bits when they aren't needed, but I
don't know the best way to go about this.  David, thoughts?

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.