Long boot delay on 460EX with 2.6.28-rc8

Felix Radensky felix at embedded-sol.com
Thu Dec 25 08:40:12 EST 2008

Leon Woestenberg-3 wrote:

> Felix,
>
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Felix Radensky <felix at embedded-sol.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I've found the cause of the delay. It was a stupid error on my part, not
>> related to ndfc driver, which is fine. Thanks a lot for you work on this.
>>
> Could you share the error?* (I'm sure I can easily exceed your level
> of stupidity)
>
> It helps people who are curiously following the thread (either now or
> in two years time, hi there!) learn if it matches their problem.
>

> Regards,
> --
> Leon
>
> * unless of course, it was really really really stupid in the first
> place and will cost you your daytime job. Then you are excused.

Well, I was simply using the wrong kernel for testing :) I did all work
on 2.6.26, and backported ndfc driver to it. At this stage of the project
it was too risky to use 2.6.28. But I did the minimal porting work, to see
how 2.8.28 behaves on this hardware, and I thought that I saw this long
delay on 2.6.28 as well as on 2.6.26. I was wrong. The reason for long
delay on 2.6.26 is nand ecc code, which was since completely rewritten.
After I've copied  new drivers/mtd/nand/nand_ecc,c to 2.6.26,  the delay
disappeared.

Felix.