schizophrenic G5 ...

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Mon Dec 22 11:11:43 EST 2008

Hi,

	I have a water cooled dual 2.5 GHz G5 (Powermac7,3). It has YDL 6.0 on
it. Using the stock YDL 2.6.23 kernel this machine "appears" to work fine.

	After finally getting it to boot under 2.6.27, it will shut itself off
if put under any significant load. And it is doing it very quickly. Like
within a few seconds of becoming busy. I just discovered it is spitting
out messages about "temperature way above maximum" (from therm_pm72.c).

	This one has the Panasonic cooling system. I have checked behind the
cover and see no evidence of leaks.

	When put under load under the stock YDL kernel, the cpu fans will speed
up for about 2 minutes. Then over the next minute or so they will slow
down almost to idle. Thereafter a whirring sound can be heard every 15
to 30 seconds lasting about 5 seconds. Which I am guessing is the pump?
The exhaust air barely gets warm?

	Anyone have any ideas? Could the cooling system NOT be correctly
thermally connected to the cpus?

kevin