FHCI driver adaptation for CPM2

Remi Lefevre rlefevre at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 02:10:16 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a few questions with regard to adapting the FHCI USB host
controller driver (for QE) from Anton Vorontsov to CPM2, based
on past discussions from linuxppc-dev & linuxppc-embedded.

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2008-April/054253.html
>On Tuesday 08 April 2008 14:16, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 06:11:15PM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>> > I had a first go at hacking the FHCI driver to make it run on a CPM2
>> > platform. Results so far are quite good. After getting rid of qe-specific
>> > APIs as explained above, and adding SOF token generation support, I've
>> > been able to access a mass storage device. The driver hasn't been
>> > stress-tested yet though.
>>
>> Wow, awesome! That's great news, really. Looking forward for the patch. :-)
>
>The current version of the code is CPM2-specific and won't work on QE-based
>platforms. Should I still post it ?

Has this CPM2  patch adaptation been posted somewhere ?
I will have soon to evaluate an USB disk on MPC8270 and it would be great to
spend time working on adapting the patch to last gpio changes and trying to
merge it with the original QE patch rather than doing this work again.

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2008-June/030541.html
>Laurent Pinchart-4 wrote:
>The bad news is that, from my experience with the CPM2, the controller is
>almost unusable. It eats around 40% CPU time on my MPC8248 system, and
>requires software help to generate SOF tokens, which results in bad SOF
>tokens being sent on the bus. Most USB disks don't seem to care, but all the
>USB Bluetooth host controllers I've tested crashed.

Does this mean than SOF tokens handling can be ignored when working with
USB disks, or only that they don't care of a few errors ?

Also 40% seems quite a lot, even at 1000Hz interruptions, an idea how much
does the CRC computation contribute in this CPU hogging ?

Best regards,
Rémi Lefèvre