How to support 3GB pci address?

maillist.kernel maillist.kernel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 23:04:14 EST 2008

Hi, we want to design a system using mpc8548, and linking with an idt 16 ports PCIE switch.
In the system, the total PCI address needed is about 3GB, so I want to know how to support it in linux. mpc8548 has 36-bit real address, and can support 32GB PCIE address space, but in linux, there is only 1GB kernel space, how to map the 3GB pci address to kernel? Is the  36-bit real address only used to support large memory(>4GB) for muti-threads?

Any suggestions please would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help