MPC5200 VIRQ question

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Dec 11 12:04:48 EST 2008

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 06:51 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I have a MPC5200 based board which has an FPGA for external
>> I/O, etc.  This FPGA also funnels interrupts from the various
>> external devices through to the CPU.
>>
>> I've defined this structure in my DTS:
>>
>> 	fpga at f8000000 {
>> 		device_type = "board-control";
>> 		#address-cells = <1>;
>> 		#size-cells = <1>;
>> 		// Note: includes sub-devices like CAN, A/D, etc
>> 		reg = <0xf8000000 0x100000>;
>>
>> 		fpga_ic: fpga_ic at f8000000 {
>> 			device_type = "fpga-int-ctlr";
>> 			interrupt-controller;
>> 			#address-cells = <0>;
>> 			#interrupt-cells = <2>;
>> 			interrupts = <2 26 3>; // IRQ2

BTW, this is wrong! Are the IRQ mappings on the MPC5200 documented
somewhere? I've looked and looked without much joy.  Only by
experimentation did I discover that "<1 2 3>" corresponds to IRQ2.

>> 			interrupt-parent = <&mpc5200_pic>;
>> 		};
>> 		can at f8010000 {
>> 			compatible = "am,can";
>> 			device_type = "can";
>> 			interrupts = <0 0>;
>> 			interrupt_parent = <&fpga_ic>;
>> 			reg = <0xf8010000 0x200>;
>> 		};
>> 	};
>>
>> Of course, there will be more devices and interrupts later on,
>> this is just the first of many.
>
> Nothing obviously wrong so far other than you should use "compatible"
> properties to identify your devices, including (especially) the fpga &
> its pic, and maybe use slightly more verbose entries than "am,can" :-)

Fair enough, but these are 100% internal devices.  I'm only using the
OF tree for them as that seems to be the accepted method (IMO, it's
a bit wrong-headed, but that's another discussion...)

>> Now the questions:
>>  * How do I choose the VIRQ range supported by my FPGA?
>
> You don't. Linux virtual numbers are allocated sparsely and on the fly.
>
> You basically create an irq_host data structure, specifying what kind of
> reverse mapping you want (typically in your case I suspect linear since
> your HW interrupt space won't be huge), provide the appropriate
> callbacks, all I can suggest here is to look at what others do.
>
>>    I'm interested in this in particular for the MPC5200, but
>>    also for other chips (I have many such board configurations).
>>  * How do I pass this information along to my drivers?  I would
>>    think that the interrupts value for the can interface above
>>    would use a [logical] IRQ (an offset from the base VIRQ),
>>    so how does the driver get the actual number (VIRQ+offset)
>>    when probing the tree?
>
> Depends on the driver. But if they use an OF node, they can do
> of_irq_parse_and_map() or something like that. It will walk the tree,
> find the controller, map it to an irq_host (via the callbacks your
> provided), allocate a virq if not done yet, establish a virq->hw mapping
> etc... all for you, and return the virq.

This part is still a bit fuzzy.  Where/how does my interrupt controller
driver get this VIRQ?  Here's how I created my controller:

    fpga_can_irq = irq_of_parse_and_map(fpga_ic, 0);
    D_printk(("%s: fpga_irq = %d\n", __func__, (u32) fpga_can_irq));
    if (fpga_can_irq == 0) {
        printk(KERN_ERR "%s: Can't find FPGA Interrupt Controller IRQ", __func__);
        return -EINVAL;
    }
    if (request_irq(fpga_can_irq, &fpga_irq_cascade, 0, "FPGA CAN", 0)) {
        printk(KERN_ERR "%s: Can't attach to FPGA Interrupt Controller IRQ", __func__);
        return -EINVAL;
    }
    fpga_irq_host = irq_alloc_host(of_node_get(fpga_node), IRQ_HOST_MAP_LINEAR,
                                           16, &fpga_irq_host_ops, -1);

When I try to get the interrupt number for the CAN sub-device,
I always get zero :-(

    for_each_compatible_node(np, "can", "am,can") {
        memset(r, 0, sizeof(r));
        rc = of_address_to_resource(np, 0, &r[0]);
        if (rc) {
            return rc;
        }
        rc = of_irq_to_resource(np, 0, &r[1]);
        if (rc) {
            return rc;
        }
    }

Note: the of_address_to_resource() call works fine, but the
of_irq_to_resource() fails - always returns 0.  Any ideas what
I'm doing wrong?

> If they are PCI devices, the PCI code does it all for you.

Sadly, 100% home grown, not PCI.

>>  * I know how to define the interrupt controller using irq_alloc_host()
>>    (once I have the VIRQ range) but it's not clear to me where to stick
>>    this initialization when bringing up my platform.
>
> You don't provide a virq range to irq_alloc_host. You provide a type of
> reverse mapping (depending on how sparse your HW numbering scheme is)
> and for a linear map, how many entries it contains (which is the size of
> your -physical- range).
>
> virqs are allocated on the fly.

Once I get the above call to work, I'll have to figure out how
to get at the VIRQ (so my cascade handler can signal the right
interrupt)

n.b. I only ask these questions after much investigation and
experimentation; I'm not asking you to do my job for me, just
help through the maze of twisty little passages!