PPC4xx ECC Configs, Defines and Source

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Dec 10 23:37:46 EST 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:07:16 +0100
Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 December 2008, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > Why is there a need to have so many files?  I would think you could
> > > have a single file with all the ECC monitoring implementations in it
> > > called ppc4xx_ecc.c (or such).  Surely they would share some amount
> > > of code?
> >
> > Well, it depends how much they share, but I'd rather have separate files
> > with helpers in ppc4xx_soc.c if it's small, that way, it's easier to
> > only build selected files based on what SoC support is enabled.
>
> ACK. The Denali core for example from 440EPx/GRx is completely different.
> Trying to fit this Denali ECC handling into the IBM-DDR(2) code would result
> in an ugly mess.

That's fine.  I think you are all jumping the gun a bit there.  Grant
is talking about providing a single scrub implementation for 405EXr,
not all of them.  Whether the other implementations ever even
materialize is something entirely different.

Anyway, separate files is fine.  For now, we'll have one. :)

josh