[RFC][USB] powerpc: Workaround for the PPC440EPX USBH_23 errata

Steven A. Falco sfalco at harris.com
Fri Aug 29 07:11:51 EST 2008

Alan Stern wrote:
> Your original post mentioned that the 440EPx has only one USB 2.0 host
> port.  Then how can you use a keyboard and memory stick at the same
> time?  You'd have to plug them into a hub -- in which case only one
> controller would be needed, the one driving the hub.  The patch would
> be unnecessary.
I have one of these processors on a Sequoia board.  What happens is that
if you build the kernel with both EHCI and OHCI support, then plug in
a modern USB memory stick, it initially tries EHCI, the driver fails, and
the whole thing falls back to OHCI.  So you wind up running at 12 Mbps.
The only way to make high speed work is to turn off the OHCI driver, and
then you cannot support slow devices with that kernel.

So, hile you cannot plug two devices in at one time, you can plug in
different speed devices at different times, and my understanding is that
this patch will let that work seamlessly.