Efficient memcpy()/memmove() for G2/G3 cores...

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Mon Aug 25 21:00:10 EST 2008

Hi David,

The focus has definitely been on VMX but that's not to say lower power
processors were forgotten :)

Gunnar von Boehn did some benchmarking with an assembly optimized routine,
for Cell, 603e and so on (basically the whole gamut from embedded up to
sever class IBM chips) and got some pretty good results;

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1426

It is definitely something that needs fixing. The generic routine in glibc
just copies words with no benefit of knowing the cache line size or any
cache block buffers in the chip, and certainly no use of cache control or
data streaming on higher end chips.

With knowledge of the right way to unroll the loops, how many copies to
do at once to try and get a burst, reducing cache usage etc. you can get
very impressive performance (as you can see, 50MB up to 78MB at the
smallest size, the basic improvement is 2x performance).

I hope that helps you a little bit. Gunnar posted code to this list not
long after. I have a copy of the "e300 optimized" routine but I thought
best he should post it here, than myself.

There is a lot of scope I think for optimizing several points (glibc,
kernel, some applications) for embedded processors which nobody is
really taking on. But, not many people want to do this kind of work..

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations