Strange behavior with I2C on Sequoia board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 22 04:45:56 EST 2008

Dear Valentine Barshak,

In message <48AD5FD1.1090809 at ru.mvista.com> you wrote:

> U-boot thinks that all memory above the first 8MB is out of reach for
> the kernel and puts kernel bootargs and boardinfo structure below 8MB as
> close as possible to this limit. Including the i2c driver into the
> kernel increases the kernel image size. So when u-boot unpacks the
> kernel to 0x400000 (Load Address: 00400000) it overwrites the kernel
> parameters. So when the kernel actually starts, it reads zeros instead
> of boardinfo (and mac addresses)
>
> The 8MB limit is set for all AMCC boards in include/configs/amcc-common.h:
> #define CFG_BOOTMAPSZ		(8 << 20) /* Initial Memory map for Linux */

See also the initrd_high environment variable to adjust the limits
without need for recompiling U-Boot.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The complexity of software is an essential property, not an  acciden-
tal  one. Hence, descriptions of a software entity that abstract away
its complexity often abstract away its essence.    - Fred Brooks, Jr.