libfreevec benchmarks

Konstantinos Margaritis markos at codex.gr
Fri Aug 22 02:09:15 EST 2008

Benh suggested that I made this more known, and in particular to this list, so
I send this mail in hope that some people might be interested. In particular,
I ran the following benchmarks against libfreevec/glibc:

http://www.freevec.org/content/libfreevec_104_benchmarks_updated

libfreevec has reached a very stable point, where me and a couple of others
(the OpenSuse PowerPC port developer being one) have been using it for weeks
(personally I've been using it for months), using the LD_PRELOAD mechanism (as
explained here:
http://www.freevec.org/content/howto_using_libfreevec_using_ld_preload).
The OpenSuse guys even consider using it by default on the ppc port even, but
that's not final of course.

glibc integration _might_ happen if glibc developers change their attitude (my
mails have been mostly ignored).

Last, I've also been working on a libm rewrite, though this will take some
time still. I've reimplemented most math functions at the algorithm level, eg.
so far, most functions achieve 50%-200% speed increase at full IEEE754
accuracy (mathematically proven, soon to be published online) without using
Altivec yet, just by choosing a different approximation method (Taylor
approximation is pretty dumb if you ask me anyway).

Regards

Konstantinos Margaritis
Codex
http://www.codex.gr