ftrace introduces instability into kernel 2.6.27(-rc2,-rc3)

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Aug 21 00:50:35 EST 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:22:49 -0400 (EDT)
Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >
> > Segher was looking at this a bit this morning.  He thinks it's really
> > -fno-omit-frame-pointer that is causing this.  That really shouldn't
> > even be set on PowerPC, but FTRACE uses select which overrides the
> > depends on stuff in Kconfig.
>
> I can easily make a patch that makes that select an x86 only.

That's probably a first step, but you might want to wait until Segher
can fill in more details.  I'm sort of just relaying what he and I were
talking about on IRC.  IIRC, he was testing builds with and without
both -pg and -fno-omit-frame-pointer and found the bug only when
-fno-omit-frame-pointer was present.

josh