self-modifying code in 2.6 kernel for ppc writes into readonly section

Michael Neuling mikey at neuling.org
Tue Aug 19 08:09:57 EST 2008

> It seems like no one else is interested in the subject, so i will talk
> directly to you.
>
> If you say that the cpu also seg faults, it means that the problem is
> in the code of the linux kernel... :)

Sorry, I was only joking.  The hardware does _not_ segfault.  There is
no equivalent to segfault in real hardware.

> I'm not sure you are completely familiar with this particular piece of
> code I'm talking about, so just to make sure... On powerpc, in the
> beggining, it jumps to the early initialization, where it checks cpu
> type and then does the cpu features fixup, which means that it
> overwrites with nop's code that is not intended for this particular
> cpu. This happens on every powerpc cpu (32 bits at least), so if the
> problem was here, somebody would have reported it at least. So it is
> supposed to work this way. But in my emulator at least, I can't get
> the code to write over code and not get a segmentation fault. The
> emulator (psim, the one that comes with gdb) keeps it from writing to
> sections that were loaded as readonly. You're saying it happens the
> same on real hw ?

I'm familiar with the code you are talking about... and it works
correctly on real hardware (the code is replaced with NOPs)

The section notes are just a hints to the loader.  In the case of the
Linux kernel, it's ignored or can't be enforced by the PPC architecture.

Mikey