self-modifying code in 2.6 kernel for ppc writes into readonly section

Mihaela Grigore grigore.mihaela at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 05:57:58 EST 2008

The mmu is still disabled at this point.

What is marked as readonly is the text section of the vmlinux file
generated when compiling the kernel. And since the code tries to write
to the text section, I assumed it was the reason for the segmentation
fault.

I'm not sure how this is dealt with on real hardware.

Can somebody please explain how is it supposed to work ? Is it ok to
write to text section that you load on real hardware as readonly ?
(again, no mmu involved, as it is still turned off, so i'm not sure
who's guarding this section against writing)