Strange tg3 regression with UMP fw. link reporting

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Aug 9 08:05:57 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 11:43 -0700, Matt Carlson wrote:

> Segher is right.  The code should be 2.5 milliseconds but is actually
> much longer.  This fix is actually already in my patch queue and needs
> to be sent upstream.
>
> We really shouldn't be displaying any error messages in the event of a
> timeout though.  Earlier versions of the UMP firmware did not support
> the link update interface.  The best thing the driver can do for all
> cases is give the firmware a chance to service the event but continue
> as if the event were serviced if it did not get an explicit ACK.

But that means that the driver will continuously spin 2.5ms every
timer tick or so ? Or do I miss something ? Could it be possible to
count timeouts and if after N attempts at an ack, they all timed out,
disable the feature completely ?

Or is there a way to test the version of the firmware ?

In any case, the fix should go into -stable as the problem is hurting
2.6.26. Also, should we consider updating the tg3 firmware on those
machines ?

Ben.