dtc update for in-kernel version

David Gibson dwg at au1.ibm.com
Thu Aug 7 12:36:03 EST 2008

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 09:35:22AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:29:30 -0500
> Kumar Gala <galak at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 6, 2008, at 7:43 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >
> > > So we asked about this a while ago and I haven't seen anything yet,
> > > but
> > > is there going to be an update to the version of DTC that is in the
> > > kernel tree?  1.2 is out now, would be a good idea to update soon.
> >
> > is there any reason to update to 1.2 for 2.6.27?
>
> Probably not at this point in the lifecycle.  We brought this up
> before the merge window opened though, so I'm just wondering what the
> general plan is.  Seems lots of fixes and such are getting put out, but
> not pulled into the kernel.

There isn't really a general plan, someone just needed to get around
to assembling the patch.  I just sent out a patch which updates the
in-kernel dtc and libfdt to 1.2.

Longer term, once microblaze support goes into mainline, we probably
should move the in-kernel copy to scripts/ and/or lib/ so that powerpc
and microblaze can share it.

It would be nice to have some better automagical way of pulling the
dtc git tree into a kernel git tree, but I haven't gotten my heard
around the gittery involved.  There's a bit more to it than simply
importing the dtc tree verbatim into the kernel tree - the pulls from
upstream would need to be co-ordinated in some cases with updates to
the in-kernel makefiles, libfdt_env.h and users of dtc and libfdt.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson