[RFC/PATCH 2/3] of: add of_lookup_stdout() utility function

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Thu Aug 7 03:09:41 EST 2008

Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>> It's not what we do with flattened device trees blobs though.  In the
>> flattened tree we're not using a /chosen/stdout property, just the
>> linux,stdout-path one.
>>
>> The question that remains is; should there be?  Should the dt blobs
>> use /chosen/stdout also?  (I'm not familiar enough with real OF to
>> know the answer.  I'm assuming that an instance value is not the same
>> as a phandle).

The difference between a phandle and an ihandle is similar to the
difference between (the inode of) an executable files on disk and (the
process id of) a running process.  A phandle refers to the static
information that describes a device, while an ihandle refers to a
particular (out of potentially several) active instantiation of the OFW
driver for that devices.  An "instance value" is a data item that can
have a different value for each of the running instances of a given
driver.  In the analogy, an instance value is like a data segment variable.

Given an ihandle, you can get the corresponding phandle with
ihandle>phandle.  You can't go from phandle to ihandle, because that
direction is one-to-many.

Why you you ever need more than one running instance of a given driver?
For leaf devices, it is pretty rare to have multiple instances.
Multiple instances are more often used for intermediate nodes.  The same
intermediate node - for example a usb node - is often the parent of
several leaf nodes that are active simultaneously.  When you open a
device, its device tree parents up to the root are implicitly opened.
Each such instance can hold dynamic state on behalf of its children.