[RFC/PATCH 2/3] of: add of_lookup_stdout() utility function

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed Aug 6 23:31:55 EST 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Paul Mackerras <paulus at samba.org> wrote:
> David Miller writes:
>
>> On sparc platforms this is obtained differently.  We obtain the 32-bit
>> instance value of "/chosen/stdout" and convert that into a prom device
>> node path using "instance-to-path".
>
> That's actually exactly what we do too, the linux,stdout-path property
> is just a cache of the result of that process.  The difference is that
> we have to do it early on while we still have OF around, while you can
> do it later.

It's not what we do with flattened device trees blobs though.  In the
flattened tree we're not using a /chosen/stdout property, just the
linux,stdout-path one.

The question that remains is; should there be?  Should the dt blobs
use /chosen/stdout also?  (I'm not familiar enough with real OF to
know the answer.  I'm assuming that an instance value is not the same
as a phandle).

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.