PS3 early lock-up

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Tue Aug 5 10:31:43 EST 2008

Hi,

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> > ps3_hpte_insert() seems to be called during system initialization with the
>> > following values of rflags:
>> >   - first call: 0x190
>> >   - initial memory: 0x194 (455 times)
>> >   - hotplug memory:
>> >       o crash: 0x115
>> >       o OK: 0x117
>> >
>> > Do you have an idea of what's really going on?
>>
>> Weird... Both look incorrect. In fact, it's a bit scary...
>>
>> The one with the 7 at the end means that user space as RO access to
>> the segment (oops !) and supervisor too. The one with the 5 means
>> RO for user and RW for supervisor.
>>
>> That is unless your HV is munging them in strange ways... I don't
>> know why LV1 is refusing a combination though.
>>
>> As for the flags, it depends what htab_bolt_mapping() is called
>> with.
>>
>> Do you have a backtrace ? I'm a bit lots in the mem hotswap code
>> trying to figure out where the mapping comes from..
>
> Ah, found it... It should be ok... both the mapping of the RAM itself
> and vmemmap_populate() should be passing
>
>   _PAGE_ACCESSED | _PAGE_DIRTY | _PAGE_COHERENT | PP_RWXX;
>
> Which should be 0x194.

That is 0x190.

0x194 = _PAGE_EXEC | _PAGE_ACCESSED | _PAGE_DIRTY | _PAGE_COHERENT | PP_RWXX

> Can you find out where that stupid value comes from ?

I didn't have time to look at in detail, but it fails from the
ioremap call in ps3_map_htab (arch/powerpc/platfroms/ps3/htab.c):

 htab = (__force struct hash_pte *)ioremap_flags(htab_addr, htab_size,
     pgprot_val(PAGE_READONLY_X));

IIRC, lv1 doesn't allow a read/write mapping of the htab, and that is
why I used pgprot_val(PAGE_READONLY_X) here.

I guess the value returned from pgprot_val(PAGE_READONLY_X)
changed in recent kernels, and that is what is causing the failure.

Just FYI, I put these in:

  printk("%s:%d: flags = %x\n", __func__, __LINE__, (_PAGE_ACCESSED | _PAGE_DIRTY | _PAGE_COHERENT | PP_RWXX));
  printk("%s:%d: flags = %x\n", __func__, __LINE__, pgprot_val(PAGE_READONLY_X));

and got this (and lv1_write_htab_entry failed):

  ps3_map_htab:288: flags = 190
  ps3_map_htab:289: flags = 117

-Geoff