[BUILD-FAILURE] 2.6.27-rc1-mm1 - allyesconfig build fails on powerpc

Peter 1 Oberparleiter Peter.Oberparleiter at de.ibm.com
Sat Aug 2 01:44:07 EST 2008

Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> wrote on 01.08.2008 07:29:36:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 06:13:28PM +0530, Kamalesh Babulal wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > make allyesconfig with 2.6.27-rc1-mm1 kernel on powerpc fails with
> build error
>
> <snip>
>
> Turning off GCOV "fixes" this.  Not really the best solution but at
> least it narrows doen the search effort.
>
> Peter,
>    Can you have a look at how this can be fixed, if at all?

I did some testing with a cross-compiler myself and I don't think
there is a general solution to this problem. It's not one particular
file that is causing the problem but seemingly the sheer size of the
resulting vmlinux file - even though the toal vmlinux.o size is
"merely" up about 100MiB (from around 1,03Gib to 1,13Gib).

I think I'll need help from people with knowledge of the powerpc
toolchain here.

Regards,
  Peter