Board level compatibility matching

David Gibson dwg at au1.ibm.com
Fri Aug 1 12:54:39 EST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 02:19:57PM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> This topic keeps coming up, so it is probably time to address it once
> and for all.
>
> When it comes to machine level support in arch/powerpc, there seems to
> me that there are two levels or machine support.
>
> Level 1 is the board specific stuff.  Board X has a, b, and c things
> that need to be done for Linux to work correctly, but the fixups are
> entirely board specific and will only ever be used on a single board
> port.  The lite5200 support in arch/powerpc/platforms/52xx is an
> example of this kind of board support.  It binds on a value in the top
> level compatible property.
>
> Level 2 is kind of the generic catch-all machine support for systems
> that are unremarkable and don't require any special code to be run.
> In most cases, new boards can be supported by this generic code
> without any changes to the Linux kernel.
> arch/powerpc/platforms/52xx/mpc5200_simple.c is an example here.
> mpc5200_simple maintains a list of boards that are known to work with
> it.
>
> At the moment, every new board port forces a linux kernel source tree
> change, even if it is just adding a single string to the match table.
> I'm willing to wager that 99 times out of 100, boards based on the
> mpc5200 SoC will want to use the common board support code and that
> maintaining an explicit list of supported boards is completely
> unnecessary.  I expect that the exact same is true for 8xxx and 4xx
> SoCs.  So, rather than continuing to need to maintain explicit lists,
> I propose the following:
>
> - Add a property to the device tree that explicitly specifies the SoC
> that the board is based on.  Something like 'soc-model =
> "fsl,mpc5200b"' would be appropriate.  This in and of itself does not
> change the usage conventions, it just provides more information about
> the hardware.  (Another idea is to add a string to the top level
> compatible property, but there are still arguments about what
> compatible really means in the root node.)

No.  This sort of information belongs in the board compatible
property.  compatible = "myspecificboard", "generic-mpc5200-board" or
the like.  Groups of boards sufficiently similar to share platform
code are *usually* divided by which SoC they're based on, but not
always.  Sometimes they're divided by the main bridge chip, or by
vendor (if the vendor is careful to use the same conventions on
different boards even with different SoCs).  And sometimes boards will
have idiosyncratic wiring that requires special platform support, even
if all the major components are the same as some standard design.

> - Prioritize board ports in the arch/powerpc/platforms directory to
> identify level-1 machines support from the level-2 ones.  Make sure
> that level-1 stuff always gets probed before level-2 stuff within each
> SoC family.  In all likelyhood, this would probably just involve
> making sure that board specific machines get linked in before the
> catchall machine.

Again, this is imposing too much structure on which boards are
compatible with which.  Certainly compatibility by SoC with a few
exceptions is common, but it's not universal.

Splitting highly-specific from fairly-generic platform code might help
readability.  But, we have to remember that the distinction is only a
useful-guideline one, not a true structural difference.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson