Board level compatibility matching

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri Aug 1 06:59:06 EST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 02:19:57PM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> - Add a property to the device tree that explicitly specifies the SoC
> that the board is based on.  Something like 'soc-model =
> "fsl,mpc5200b"' would be appropriate.

Shouldn't that go in the compatible property of the soc node?

> - Prioritize board ports in the arch/powerpc/platforms directory to
> identify level-1 machines support from the level-2 ones.  Make sure
> that level-1 stuff always gets probed before level-2 stuff within each
> SoC family.  In all likelyhood, this would probably just involve
> making sure that board specific machines get linked in before the
> catchall machine.

I don't think we're too far away from being able to have a catch-all that
isn't even soc-type-specific -- the main things that come to mind are
instantiating PCI controllers (should be easily fixed) and finding the
root IRQ controller (I suppose we could pick a random interrupt
controller and follow the interrupt tree to its root, though it'd be more
robust if it were explicitly identified in the device tree).

-Scott