Board level compatibility matching

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Fri Aug 1 06:52:51 EST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 04:49:49PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 7/31/08, Grant Likely <grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:
> > This topic keeps coming up, so it is probably time to address it once
> >  and for all.
> >
> >  When it comes to machine level support in arch/powerpc, there seems to
> >  me that there are two levels or machine support.

> >  Thoughts?
> >  g.
>

> As part of this, how can we going to solve the problem with triggering
> the load of a board specific machine/fabric driver in a generic way?

That really is a separate problem.  We *could* do this with a board
specific powerpc machine driver, but I don't think it is the best
solution.

I'm still thinking that the drivers module_init() function could check
the top level board model property and decide whether or not to load
based on that.

g.