Board level compatibility matching

Chris Friesen cfriesen at nortel.com
Fri Aug 1 06:39:21 EST 2008

Grant Likely wrote:

> Doing so should simplify adding new board ports.  In many cases it
> would just involve dropping in a new .dts file.  However, it retains
> the flexability of overriding generic code with platform specific
> fixups as the need arises.

If it makes it easier for board vendors to do a clean port, you get a
vote from me.

I've seen a large amount of vendor code from that needed a lot of
massaging before it would play nice with support for similar boards from
other vendors--not to mention how ugly it looked with all the
board-specific ifdefs.

Chris