2.6.23-rc8 dies somewhere during boot!?

Gerhard Pircher gerhard_pircher at gmx.net
Fri Sep 28 07:57:35 EST 2007

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:35:03 -0500
> Von: linas at austin.ibm.com
> An: Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher at gmx.net>
> CC: linuxppc-dev at ozlabs.org
> Betreff: Re: 2.6.23-rc8 dies somewhere during boot!?

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 11:17:00PM +0200, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> > > Betreff: Re: 2.6.23-rc8 dies somewhere during boot!?
> >
> > Do you have an idea how to debug it?
>
> Not particularly. What caught my eye was the failure right near the
> PCI quirk stuff, as I was having problems there as well (but apearntly,
> for very different reasons).
Yes, I also suspect the PCI code. The AmigaOne has a VIA southbridge.
AFAIK there were some changes in the PCI quirks for VIA chipsets, but so
far I couldn't see any significant changes in the code.

> Based on your boot messages, it looks like you are failing somewhere in
> pci probe.  My olde-fashioned, slow, but-usually-works method is to
> sprinkle enough printk's into the code to catch it in the act.
I guess the code in arch/powerpc/pci*.c is the right place to sprinkle
some printk's into the code?

Gerhard