[Cbe-oss-dev] [patch 0/8] PS3 AV Settings Driver patches for 2.6.24

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Thu Sep 27 12:31:25 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 18:33 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> Here are some new patches for the PS3 AV Settings Driver (ps3av), which is
> used in close collaboration with the PS3 Virtual Frame Buffer Device Driver
> (ps3fb):
>   [1] ps3av: eliminate unneeded temporary variables
>   [2] ps3av: eliminate PS3AV_DEBUG
>   [3] ps3av: use PS3 video mode ids in autodetect code
>   [4] ps3av: treat DVI-D like HDMI in autodetect
>   [5] ps3av: add autodetection for VESA modes
>   [6] ps3av: add quirk database for broken monitors
>   [7] ps3av: remove unused ps3av_set_mode()
>   [8] ps3av: don't distinguish between `boot' and `non-boot' autodetection
>
> Please review, and queue for 2.6.24 if they're ok. Thanks!
>
> Question: As several DVI-D displays advertise they support 1080i modes while
> they actually don't (cfr. the quirk database), perhaps I should drop 1080i
> modes completely from the ps3av_preferred_modes[] table? Usually 720p looks
> better than 1080i anyway.  What do you think?

Definitely. If the autodetection fails Linux is basically unusable on
PS3 unless you hack the kernel sources and build your own kboot and
otheros.bld - not entirely trivial for novice users. So it's pretty
important that it works 100%.

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
OzLabs, IBM Australia Development Lab

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person