jffs2 file system on MPC8272ADS board

Vitaly Bordug vbordug at ru.mvista.com
Wed Sep 26 02:22:57 EST 2007

Hello Nethra,

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:47:38 -0700 (PDT)
Nethra wrote:

> hi everyone,
>
> I m using custom board similar to MPC8272ADS board...
>
> 1) For the first time it boots up properly in case if we overwrite any
> existing binaries using nfs mounted file system on the board, after
> rebooting it displays fallowing message...
>
> Further such events for this erase block will not be printed
> Eep. Child "null" (ino #1346) of dir ino #3 doesn't exist!
> Eep. Child "autocomm" (ino #463) of dir ino #461 doesn't exist!
> Eep. Child "calibration" (ino #464) of dir ino #461 doesn't exist!
> Eep. Child "coredsp_driver.ko" (ino #939) of dir ino #336 doesn't exist!
> Inode #1307 was a directory with children - removing those too...
> Inode #564 was a directory with children - removing those too...
> Inode #565 was a directory with children - removing those too...
> Inode #1112 was a directory with children - removing those too...
> Inode #1115 was a directory with children - removing those too...
> Inode #1118 was a directory with children - removing those too...
> Inode #1123 was a directory with children - removing those too...
>
> after this board boots up properly....but it not be having overwritten files

Have you created jffs2 file system on flash prior to mounting it?

> 2) while booting up for the first time itself it will display the falowing
> message..
>
> modprobe: FATAL: Could not load
> /lib/modules/2.6.10_mvl401-8272ads/modules.dep: No such file or dire
> ctory
>
> but after this also board boots up properly

You are missing modules.dep, since haven't run depmod. Issue in from target and it will get cured.

> 3) when board is running properly in between it starts printing on console
> repeatedly...

Do the proper MTD partitions setup, erase the partition and create jffs2 filesystem on it.
If after all those steps you're still getting output, that is prolly flakey flash.
> Header CRC failed on REF_PRISTINE node at 0x00638a6c: Read 0xffffffff,
> calculated 0x44660075
> Node totlen on flash (0xffffffff) != totlen from node ref (0x00000254)
> Header CRC failed on REF_PRISTINE node at 0x00638cc0: Read 0xffffffff,
> calculated 0x44660075
[...]
>  and
>
> file system is created using fallowing command..
>
> mkfs.jffs2 -r RFS_NEW/ -e 0x20000 -o /tftpboot/jffs2_img -b

I am recalling playing with the options upper also cured the jffs2 warnings (not as many as yours but anyway)

> do we need padding or not..?
I'd say that we do not. but it depends

--
Vitaly