Problems compiling Linux for MPC8272ADS

Manil Gaouar mgaouar at solacom.com
Tue Sep 25 02:26:24 EST 2007

Hi there,

I am trying to compile the latest Linux from the git repos: git clone
git://www.denx.de/git/linux-2.6-denx.git linux-2.6-denx, I checked out
the code a few weeks ago and was able to build my uImage no problems. I
did a git pull this morning and I can not compile anymore, here is the
error message I have:

  BOOTCC  arch/powerpc/boot/ps3.o
  BOOTCC  arch/powerpc/boot/treeboot-bamboo.o
  BOOTCC  arch/powerpc/boot/cuboot-sequoia.o
  BOOTCC  arch/powerpc/boot/treeboot-walnut.o
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:184: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `mfdcr'
{standard input}:185: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `mfdcr'
{standard input}:186: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `mfdcr'
{standard input}:217: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `mtdcr'
make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/boot/treeboot-walnut.o] Error 1
make: *** [uImage] Error 2

here are the commands I am using:

make mrproper
make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx- mpc8272_ads_defconfig
make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx- uImage

Do you have any ideas, or I should check out the 2.6.22 stable release
instead and try again???

Thx