[patch 3/3] mpc8349emitx.dts: Add ds1339 RTC

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at sunsite.dk
Mon Sep 24 15:52:22 EST 2007

>>>>> "David" == David Gibson <david at gibson.dropbear.id.au> writes:

Hi

 >> compatible = "fsl-i2c";
 >> reg = <3100 100>;
 >> interrupts = <f 8>;
 >> interrupt-parent = < &ipic >;
 >> dfsrr;
 >> +
 >> +			rtc at 68 {
 >> +				device_type = "rtc";
 >> +				compatible = "dallas,ds1339";
 >> +				reg = <68>;
 >> +			};

 David> I think we want to think a bit more carefully about how to do bindings
 David> for RTC devices.  No "rtc" device_type is defined, but again we might
 David> want to.

Could be. I've simply done it like kuroboxHD.dts already does and
fsl_soc.c expects.

 David> I did find one real OF binding for a different Dallas RTC (and NVRAM),
 David> see:

 David> http://playground.sun.com/1275/proposals/Closed/Remanded/Accepted/346-it.txt

 David> It's a little different from the example above.

 David> The fact that NVRAM+RTC chips are so common is a bit of an issue from
 David> the point of view of defining a device class binding - a device can't
 David> have type "rtc" and "nvram".

True. I think we should primarily focus on the RTC part rather than
NVRAM as that's the "main" functionality and leave a NVRAM class for
I2C EEPROMs.

The Linux driver for the chip (rtc-1307.c) doesn't expose the NVRAM
bytes either.

But I'm open for suggestions.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard