[patch 3/4] 4xx: Convert Walnut flash mappings to new binding

David Gibson dwg at au1.ibm.com
Mon Sep 17 12:02:17 EST 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 05:09:01PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <1189866379.17593.2.camel at localhost.localdomain> Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 05:23 +0200, Stefan Roese wrote:
> > > There are not only Bamboo board running PIBS, but running U-Boot too. How
> > > should we handle this different FLASH partitioning? Same goes for Ebony too
> > > btw.
> >
> > That's a good question.  I'm working on making the NOR flash show up for
> > Bamboo right now, and I had intended to just leave the partition
> > subnodes missing.
>
> Maybe we can have  U-Boot  add  the  partition  information  if  it's
> missing in the device tree, and extend the mtdparts command in U-Boot
> to add / adjust settings so they match what is defined in U-Boot.
>
> Stefan, what do you think?

If U-Boot is supplying a device tree, it should certainly make the
partition information match its own idea of the partitions.

For older non-device-tree away u-boot, I guess we'll have to make the
cuboot and treeboot wrappers mangle the device tree differently to
correct the partition information.

I suspect the easiest way to do this will be for the dts to contain
both treeboot and u-boot partition info, and have the wrapper delete
or nop the nodes for the other firmware.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson