SYSFS: need a noncaching read

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Wed Sep 12 21:13:32 EST 2007

Hello Greg

Am Mittwoch, den 12.09.2007, 03:01 -0700 schrieb Greg KH:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 07:32:07AM +0200, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 11:43:17AM +0200, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> > > I have developed a device driver and use the sysFS to export some
> > > registers to userspace.
> >
> > Uuuh, uggly. Don't do that. Device drivers are there to abstract things,
> > not to play around with registers from userspace.
> >
> > > I opened the sysFS File for one register and did some reads from this
> > > File, but I alwas becoming the same value from the register, whats not
> > > OK, because they are changing. So I found out that the sysFS caches
> > > the reads ... :-(
> >
> > Yes, it does. What you can do is close()ing the file handle between
> > accesses, which makes it work but is slow.
>
> Do an lseek back to 0 and then re-read, you will get called in your
> driver again.

No thats not true. I thought this too, but if I make a:

seek (fd, 0L, SEEK_SET);

in Userspace, there is no retrigger in the sysFS, my driver is *not*
called again. So I made a own sysfs_seek function, which does retrigger
the driver ...

Is this really wanted in the sysFS, that there is no way to retrigger a
read?

thanks
Heiko