FDT for Microblaze and PPC405

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed Sep 12 03:09:07 EST 2007

On 9/11/07, Michal Simek <Monstr at seznam.cz> wrote:
> Hi Grant,

(Adding linuxppc-dev mailing list to CC list because we're discussing
FDT issues)

> I made EDK repository file for generation dts file from Xilinx design. I sent it to Wolfgang and Steve this week.
> It is in the same config file as I use for configuration Microblaze for U-BOOT. If you want I can send you this repository files.

Yes, please do.

> And I start with redesigning Linux kernel for Microblaze. I ported some peripherals as timer and intc etc.
> But for some peripherals I need better configuration.
>
> I have no time to read information about fdt. Can you tell me what labels I can use?

Steve has already done a bunch of work in this direction on
microblaze, I would converse with him.

> For example emaclite driver needs information about turning on/off ping pong buffer...
>
> I would like to make this properly.

FDT design is just as much art as it is science.  It takes taste and
judgement to desgin a nice set of bindings.  Your best option is to
draft something and post it to the linuxppc-embedded mailing list for
review.

> And second question is on early console logs and timers setting. I read about aliases in FDT. I think that aliases can cover this setting.
> For example my design contain 4 serial line and I would like to know which serial line is set on early console.

You use the chosen node for this.  In the chosen node, you add a
property called "linux,stdout-path" which holds the path to your
console.  You can look at examples under arch/powerpc/boot/dts/*

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.