[RFC] AmigaOne device tree source v2

Gerhard Pircher gerhard_pircher at gmx.net
Wed Sep 5 21:54:19 EST 2007

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 12:48:05 +1000
> Von: David Gibson <david at gibson.dropbear.id.au>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher at gmx.net>
> CC: Segher Boessenkool <segher at kernel.crashing.org>, linuxppc-dev at ozlabs.org
> Betreff: Re: [RFC] AmigaOne device tree source v2

> That looks totally bogus.  Unlike Segher, I think there are a few
> cases where overlapping reg and ranges can make sense (PCI bridges
> where config space is accessed indirectly via MMIO registers which lie
> in the legacy ISA IO space is an example).  But this doesn't look like
> such a case - it just looks like whoever did the device tree
> misunderstood the distinction between reg and ranges.
AmigaOne's PCI bridge implements PCI config with indirect addressing, but
not within the ISA I/O space. I just wanted to clear up the meaning of
this reg entry, because it looks like everyone interprets the OF spec a
little bit differently.

> > > PCI legacy I/O is not direct mapped: there is no legacy I/O on a
> > > PowerPC system bus.  So, it can not be mentioned in the "ranges"
> > > property, but the PHB registers used to access it should be shown
> > > in the "reg" property.  It could be a simple linear window (it
> > > sounds like it is here?), but it could for example also be
> > > implemented via an address/data register pair.
>
> Err... huh?  The legacy IO space is assigned a block of addresses in
> 3-word "OF-PCI-space by the PCI binding.  When that is translated into
> an MMIO range by the bridge, there's no reason that can't be encoded
> into the ranges property.
I defined the legacy I/O space together with the PCI I/O space in the
ranges property of the PCI node:
ranges = <01000000 0 00000000 fe000000 0 00c00000
The first 64k of this address space are mapped to ISA I/O in the PCI2ISA
bridge node.

> The whole damn point of the device tree is to avoid using this kind of
> non-local information "I know what the board type is over there, so it
> must be this PCI bridge over here".  The node should have a compatible
> property which is sufficient to select the right bridge driver.
Yeah, I defined a compatible = "mai,articias"; property in the pci node.
Are there any naming conventions (maybe lower case only)?

> I think this is typically badly done at the moment, simply because PCI
> has historically been set up by the platform code, rather than by a
> "host bridge driver" in the mould of other drivers.  I don't see that
> changing real soon, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't at least put
> enough information in the device tree to make it possible.
I agree (even if it means more work for me :-)

I'll post a revised version of the device tree.

Thanks!

Gerhard